The Lennox Museum

The City's rich history is preserved through the effort of the Lennox Area Historical Society and shared with the public through the Lennox Museum, located at 305 South Main Street. There are four floors of exhibits in the museum. The carriage house that sits in the back of the museum is also ready for visitors. With new items being acquired all the time, the exhibits are continually being added to and changed. Lennox residents and visitors alike will find the museum an enjoyable and educational place to visit.

Lennox had its beginning with the establishment of the Milwaukee railroad branch through here in 1879. Settlement in the Lennox territory gained momentum during the decade of the 1870's. Lennox was named after B. G. Lennox, private secretary to S.S. Merrill, Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific railroad executive. In its early years it was known as Ben Lennox, although the first name was abandoned a short time later. The population of Lennox in 1880 was 90 and by 1885 that number had grown to 400.

In 1885 Lennox boasted the following establishments: 4 general stores, 2 blacksmith shops, 3 saloons, 2 hotels, one harness shop, 2 boot and shoe shops, 2 implement houses, 1 livery barn, 2 hardware stores, 1 lumberyard, 1 clothing store, 2 millinery shops, 1 ball room, 1 drug store, 1 physician, 1 attorney, 2 loan agents, 3 churches, 1 school building, 1 butter packing house, an army post, and a cornet band!

The Lennox Museum entrance

the carriage house at the lennox museum, a white building

Tour the Museum

To arrange a tour of the museum:

Mary Brass

Did You Know.....?

  • .W.B. Smith was elected the first mayor of Lennox in 1906.

  • the first city hall was built in 1919 for a cost of $12,000.

  • a municipal waterworks was established in 1904 with a wooden water tank.

  • the First English Dialect Church in Lennox was the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1880.

  • Lennox schools began in 1880 with Mrs. O.P. Ashley as the first permanent teacher. She was paid $35.00 per month.

  • the Lennox Commercial Club was first established in 1907.